What will happen to someone who consumes Essential Oil by mistake?

Ingesting(Consuming) essential oils can be harmful and should be avoided. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts meant for external use only and should not be consumed unless directed by a qualified healthcare professional.When essential oils are consumed, they can result in a range of harmful side effects that vary based on the type and amount ingested. For instance, some essential oils can irritate the digestive system, leading to stomach pain, vomiting, and nausea. Others can cause liver, kidney, or organ damage.Ingesting specific essential oils may also trigger severe allergic reactions, such as anaphylaxis, which can be life-threatening. Additionally, some essential oils may interact with medications, causing undesirable side effects.

Children and pets are particularly vulnerable to the dangerous consequences of consuming essential oils. Even small amounts can lead to serious harm, so it's important to store them out of reach of children and pets.If an individual accidentally consumes essential oils, they should immediately seek medical attention. Treatment may involve inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, or offering supportive care to manage symptoms, depending on the type and quantity of essential oil consumed.

Plant components are used to create essential oils. Essential oils are frequently used in both professional and home-made perfumes, cosmetics, and air fresheners because of their scent. Some are used in very small quantities when preparing food. Others can be found in herbicides. A lot of essential oils have also been used medicinally for a very long time. Because essential oils are natural and have been around for a while, many people believe they are safe. That simply isn't accurate in some circumstances. Many can be poisonous if ingested or absorbed through the outermost layer of the skin. Even though people place them in their mouths, on their skin, and in their children's vaporizers, few have undergone the same level of testing as medicines have.

Essential oils can cause different reactions in different people, just like other drugs and goods can. For instance, regardless of whether something triggers allergic reactions in other people, anyone can be allergic to it. Children may be more vulnerable to toxic consequences than adults due to their immature livers and thin skin. There might also be conflicts with other medicines. Other ingredients may be toxic depending on how the essential oil is made; these preparations frequently include other oils or alcohol.

Since essential oils are typically not regulated, it can be challenging to determine precisely what is in the essential oil bottle, including the type of plant, active ingredient concentration, and the presence of contaminants. In summary, ingesting essential oils can be dangerous and should be avoided. Essential oils are meant for external use only and should only be ingested under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional. If someone accidentally consumes essential oils, seek medical attention immediately.


Back to blog